Friday 21 March 2014

2. Steven Spielberg

Everyone knows the name Steven Spielberg. Usually it's the first director's name anyone recognises when learning about movies and delving into the media. It was for me at least. Steven is regarded as one of the most influencial people in the history of Hollywood. Whether it's from a childhood memory of one of his films, or your parent's childhood memories of one of his films. He inspired a child all over to go on adventures and let their imaginations run wild.

With his extraordinarily engrossing universes and stories, Steven Spielberg captured the minds of thousand of people with films such as E.T. The Extraterrestrial and Jurassic Park. For the adults Spielberg still created engaging stories with film's such as Saving Private Ryan and Munich. Steven's best quality is understanding how a story works and what emotions can be pulled with certain aspects of how a story is told.

Steven constantly meddles with different subject matter and genre, jumping from each end of the spectrum. From science fiction with Close Encounters of the Third Kind to horror with Jaws and straight up action and adventure with Indiana Jones.His films always provide a sense of wonder, although more of his newer films lean towards the nuanced dramatic and heartfelt moments such as Munich and Lincoln.

The very first movie I had ever seen of his was E.T. The ExtraTerrestrial. I had never seen anything like it before. I was quite young and naive, and I'll never forget the sense of wonder and amazement that it brought me, leaving me to believe that one day I could have helped an Alien in my back yard.




The main reason he is my favourite director though is because of the way he tells his stories. The sense of wonder that you get, the sentimental value that is always present, has always stuck with me after every single movie I've watched of his. Through my years growing up I tried to watch as many as I could such as Jurassic Park, and Jaws. My dad and I even had several Indiana Jones marathons growing up. A lot of great memories come from watching his movies and their quotes are forever remembered in my catalogue.

Another reason why Steven Spielberg is close to my heart is because after I viewed E.T. for the first time, that is when I decided I wanted to make movies and provide the same sense of wonder and excitement in my own works.

I haven't been able to watch every single movie by him yet but I am close to it and my dream is to meet Mr. Spielberg before he passes away That would be absolutely phenomenal.


Also quite a quite amusing add to the legacy of Steven Spielberg:


The Honorable List of Films Directed by Mr. Spielberg:
-Amblin'
-Duel
-The Sugarland Express
-Jaws
-Close Encounters of the Third Kind
-1941
-Raiders of the Lost Ark
-E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial
-Twilight Zone: The Movie
-Indiana Jones: and the Temple of Doom
-The Color Purple
-Empire of the Sun
-Always
-Indiana Jones: and the Last Crusade
-Hook
-Jurassic Park
-Schindler's List
-The Lost World: Jurassic Park
-Amistad
-Saving Private Ryan
-A.I. Artificial Intelligence
-Minority Report
-Catch Me If You Can
-The Terminal
-War of the Worlds
-Munich
-Indiana Jones and the Kindom of the Crystal Skull
-The Adventures of Tintin
-War Horse
-Lincoln


http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000229/?ref_=nv_sr_3
http://content6.flixster.com/movie/11/16/67/11166788_800.jpg
http://static2.hypable.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/best-steven-spielberg-movies-top-10.jpg

6 comments:

  1. Why did you have to bring up ET? The ending to that movie made me bawl my eyes out. Ditto with War Horse.
    Regardless, I have to agree on Spielberg's directing prowess and skill. That man has a knack for making tear-jerkers, and all-around good movies. It's always nice to hear what made someone get into their chosen field, or what sparked their passion for something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is an amazing blog post Nick. I learned so much about Steven Spielberg by simply reading your blog. I like the way you bring up your personnel perspective, and how Steven inspired you, and got you into filming and directing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good start Nick and some truly top notch directors on your list. I'd love to see a blog devoted to your own movies and works, and which famous directors might have inspired your work.

    Some Issues:Only 3 blogs
    Reverse your order : Intro and #1 director
    Some images are bigger than your text box or are too close to your text.
    Explain relevance of some of your videos (ex. Why the theme song video?)
    Spacing issues on the Tarantino blog
    Sometimes vague (i.e. this is my favourite for obvious reasons)
    Grammar issues at times (ex. Films vs film’s)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not too movie-savvy especially when it comes to directors , but Spielberg is a name we all recognize. His work is brilliant, I love how passionate you are toward his work, it's obvious that you want to follow his choices and be like him. Good for you Nick, keep writing and I'll keep learning.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So this is the genius that directed ET. Man did I love that movie when I was young. It’s great to hear that people like him are inspiring others into the film industry. I can see why he’s your favorite director. He does direct some amazing movies… and memorable ones.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Although Nolan is my absolute favourite, Spielberg is definitely a close 2nd or 3rd. My favourite film of his, by far, is Saving Private Ryan. I could not even imagine a better or more realistic film portrayal of D-Day. I remember being absolutely in awe the first time I saw it. Any director that can do that is a good director indeed.

    ReplyDelete